Rain Water Harvesting Advice.
Are you interested and looking to implement rain water harvesting? There are some important things you must know before you start rain harvesting. For what do you want to use the rain water that you have harvest?
Is your focus on watering the garden or is it for household.
Rain Water Harvesting for the gardening.
- If the rain water is only for gardening then it is not a fine.
- Some people would suggest that you use a filtration system.
- To be honest.
- You don’t need any filtration system if the rain water is only for the garden.
- It is advisable to put some type of filter at the inflow of the tank from the roof to prevent any leaves from flowing into the tank.
- I do not say a filter system.
- All you have to do is to get some type of cloth or something that would prevent any big solid stuff from entering the tank.
- The time that the water stays in the tank is enough for all the solids to move to the bottom of the tank.
- Once it is at the bottom and the tank stay full or even as low as a ¼ from the bottom.
- You don’t have anything to worry about the sediment.
The outlet is about 50 mm from the bottom of the tank. That is the area that is for the solids to accumulate.
Rain Water Harvesting for the household.
- This is when the water harvesting gets serious.
- This option must be approached with the utmost care.
- We talking about your health and that are not about your health now in a few days or weeks.
- We are talking about health issues months and years from now after you have used the rain water.
- I know that the rain water harvesting sounds like a good idea but not for human consumption.
Dangers of rain water harvesting.
Long term health implications from harvested rain water.
Contaminates in rain water.
- The rain water is collected from the roof.
- The roof is exposing to all types of weather and pollution that may be present in the region.
- In the morning the dew on the roof collects all the pollutants that are in the air.
- Those pollutants accumulate on the roof and flow with the rain water into the tank.
- We talk about heavy metals and different chemicals.
Bacteria in Rain Water.
- Can you tell me what type of birds sit on the roof?
- What birds fly over the roof and leave their droppings on the roof.
- Where does this birds feed and what parasites and bacteria do they have.
- This is something to think about.
- Let’s say only one bird sit on your roof and leave a dropping.
- That bird has a bacteria or parasite that can cause liver or kidney failure.
- The symptoms will only appear after a few months have passed.
- Your baby daughter gets the bacteria from the rain water.
- Do you really think that is a good idea?
Treatment of rain water.
If you want to use the rain water for human consumption. The first thing you must get is to get a big UV light system to kill all live organisms. This UV light is installed after the pressure pump that feeds from the tank.
The second system is a 5 stage reverse osmosis system only for human consumption.
Big blue system for rain water harvesting.
Do not, I say do not get a big blue system. The big blue system is not effective for rain water treatment. If you get a big blue system for rain water treatment and one of your family experience any health issues.
Rain Water Harvesting Warning.
Never ever turn around and say that I did not warn you. The blame would be on you. This is serious.