Nitrate as N mg/L
If the reading is above 10 it's time to act. Call us, we will assist and help you solving the problem.
We Supply, Install and Service Borehole water Purification Systems and Reverse Osmosis Systems.
Presence of nitrates that affect water quality?
- In short!
- It is the condition where high concentrations of nutrients, like phosphates and nitrates are present in the water source.
- This promotes excessive growth of algae.
- When the algae die and decompose.
- These cause high levels of organic matter and the decomposing organisms deplete the water of available oxygen.
- This condition causing the death of other organisms, such as fish.
- When the total lack of oxygen occurs.
- The water then turns green or milky white and gives off a strong rotten egg odour.
Can the presence of nitrates affect a person’s health?
- People who use borehole water as a source of drinking water need to monitor the level of nitrates on a regular basis.
- Drinking water that is high in nitrates can interfere with the ability of your red blood cells to transport oxygen.
- Infants drinking water high in nitrates may turn “bluish”.
- They would appear to have difficulty breathing, since their bodies are not receiving enough oxygen.
Health and Nitrates.
- Methemoglobenemia, known as asphyxia or “blue-baby syndrome.”
- Infants under six months of age.
- Risk of cancer and birth defects.
If you want to know more just click on Nitrates.